Friday, June 6, 2008

The answer is...

In some small way, I do get a big ego when people come to me to ask questions as if I'm an expert in the subject. When I think about it, however, I tend to feel embarrassed because for the most part the things I'm typically asked are simple things.

When working with fish, my coworkers (and sometimes the managers) would ask for my advice. Typically it would concern ratio of gravel per gallon in an aquarium, number of fish in said tank, types of fish that are cohabitable, etc. Basically simple questions that with time they would have found out anyways (or should have already known). Even the pastor of my church calls me, occasionally, to ask a question or two. I frequently get this now that I've gone back to training. Customers/clients are frequently needing advice on how to handle a variety of situations, i.e. potty training, barking, socialization, etc.

I don't mind. I like to be helpful. What worries me is that I may become a know-it-all and ramble on when a short answer would be just fine. How much is enough? Do I get a boring monotone after a while?

My wife is looking forward to the first match between our daughter and me. "Why" will be followed with a long and boring answer. "Why" again followed by another long answer. The Mrs. fully believes our children will learn to ask me questions only if they really want the answer for fear of being bored by the lecture that will follow.

On one hand, I could say, "Be careful what you ask the person who knows everything, for you may get more than you expected." On the other hand, I ask for the wisdom to understand I don't know everything and the wisdom to make my answers more effective with less blabbing.

Which will it be this weekend at work?

No comments: