Monday, November 15, 2010

Poison Bottle

In every mad scientist's laboratory, you'll probably encounter dangerous chemicals. I wanted to have a bottle that would have only a poison logo on it. I also had to think about what I would put into it to give the impression that poison was in it.

I chose to start with an empty Tabasco bottle. I figured you would only need a small bottle of poison if it was really that dangerous. Next I had to decide what type of label to put on it. You can make a label to look antique by downloading something someone has already done (search the internet for potion bottle labels) or design one yourself, print it, then age it in several different ways. While I intended to do that for some of the other bottles, I decided to use Dave Lowe's tutorial on sculpting a relief onto the bottle. I used a couple of skull and crossbones images as reference as I designed and sculpted to logo onto the bottle using polymer clay. I baked the bottle at a much lower temperature than instructed by the clay's directions to prevent the bottle from breaking. I left the sculpt unpainted. I added twine to the neck of the bottle (inspired by Dead Spider). I wanted to sculpt something onto the top of the bottle or at least paint it a different color but ran short on time, so the bottle top stayed a classic red.

When I think of classic "movie" style poison, I think of something thick, viscous and black. Blackstrap molasses was the perfect choice. When filled, it looked perfect behind the white skull and crossbones.

No comments: