Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What People Throw Away

I feel guilty when I look in the garbage.  I look in my garbage and think about stuff I should be composting, recycling (although my wife is good about grabbing that stuff), or just the fact that I'm adding to a landfill somewhere.  I also look at the stuff other people throw away, not to the extent of opening bags of garbage but more of glancing at it.  Many times people throw stuff away that stumps me.  There was the photo album (made me wonder who throws away an album or why it was thrown away), the Christmas tree still wrapped in lights and ornaments (I collected a couple), or the case from a technical school with books, IDs, and tools still in it.

Then there are the times that I find something neat and it just makes me want to look at the garbage even more in the future.  I've mentioned the table I found and refinished, but in the past I also found an old steamer trunk, a rolling metal tool chest with stuff inside, our coffee table, and multiple DVD's, CD's, and books.  I'm especially proud of having salvaged multiple fresnel lenses from big screen t.v.s that people have thrown away.

My latest find?  A gas mask!  It's in good shape but needs to be cleaned.  It's got leaves and dirt on it from sitting on the ground near the dumpster.  My first thought was to use it for a Halloween prop or costume (you have to admit, gas masks are creepy).  My wife mentioned it would be great for a zombie apocalypse.  I think she may have been mocking my taste in movies...

No comments: