Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Project #2.2 - Air Quality Control Continues

With concern for the air quality of the laboratory, my diabolical Mistress has demanded something be done. This is going back to earlier post of Project #2 development. While it does its job, the main problem is our lab felines use their waste disposal unit first thing in the morning. This is a call for a redesign. While our home projects still haven’t been finished (my fault), my project log is getting backed up. This site will be updated with photos but they may be a little longer due to recent developments.

Because of odor problem, I have been considering setting up a small biowall unit in our lab. The concept can be found on the net but it boils down to basically a wall covered in plants, most of which are known to remove toxins from the air, through which air is pulled. The plants, water, and beneficial bacteria break down the pollutants in the air. The biggest problem for me is the lack of funding, and a certain lack of a green thumb. I like having plants. I’ve got several books on them. Do they do well? No, but they do survive, at least for a while. My maternal parental unit has kept a Bird of Paradise alive for years. I just wasn’t born with it. My current excuse is lack of light. If we had a window facing east, south, or west, we would not have to set up artificial light to set up a biowall. Unfortunately, I was planning to put the biowall unit in the lab which doesn’t have a single window. To remedy the situation, a lighting unit has to be set up, costing money for set up and power.

So, on the back burner of my mind is plans for a possible lighting unit set up to be as efficient as possible, something I can build myself with minimum parts, and won’t cost too much. Also, under consideration is how to construct a wall (or other alternative shape) unit that can hold the plants, allow for watering, and allow air movement through the unit.

Here are some links that I am using as inspiration.

Living Walls

Vertical Garden

Green Light

(Thanks to Inhabitat for the inspiration.)

Amy Youngs - Solar Hydroponic Art

No comments: