Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Transportation - Every genius needs to get from here to there.

I have been interested in human-powered vehicles (HPV's) for a while. In my hometown, transportation was automobile or if longer distances was needed, we took an aeroplane. It was weird hearing of someone with regular transportation anything but having four wheels and a gasoline engine. Yet having lived through a time in my life where an auto was not an option, I still desired my independence. The lowly roller blades and bicycle stepped in. Since then, I recognize the bicycle as one of the last remaining vehicles we can own, service, maintain, and potentially build or modify ourselves with very little investment in tools or even space.

On a different line of thought, I've recently read a commentary on how the computers of todays cars may get outdated in the future. Consider that you have to replace your computer or the programming every three to five years (and that's only if you don't *need* a faster computer). This leads to the inevitable predicament of repair shops with computers able to fix the cars of the future, but not able to fix the vehicles of the present. Even if we wanted to keep that car we really love, how are we going to able to get it fixed?

I digress. I apologize. Therefore, I will dedicate an upcoming section of the site to the HPV's that we can still use potentially for years (saving money, environment, traffic, etc). Currently, there is more than enough examples of vehicles created (or modified) by inventors and artists that can cover land, sea, and air. I shall try to list my own and at least one example of each major design.

Perhaps I bite off more than I can chew. Only the future will tell if I am truly a genius or a miserable failure.

As a last tribute to one such genius on his bicycle.

No comments: