Thursday, October 16, 2008

October

For years I really enjoyed Halloween. It was kinda the start of the holiday season for me. Followed by Thanksgiving and Christmas, each a month after the prior holiday. The whole idea of haunted houses, costumes, movies and treats got me excited.

I think this was the main reason that in high school I decided to go into special effects. I wanted to do it all: Props, makeup, gore, in camera, theater, TV, movie, horror, sci-fi. (The only thing I didn't get much into was the computer graphics. I just didn't have much capability to play around with the concept.) I even enrolled in a college that taught each of these aspects. After graduation, I didn't really pursue it because of lack of money (I know excuses, etc.) I moved to south Florida and started going to church. When I got saved, it just seemed to me that horror and sci-fi didn't quite fit with Christianity. I lost my motivation to do what I had trained to do. People told me I could always do special effects for regular TV or movies or even go into Christian movies. It still didn't seem right.

I've struggled with this for years. (Especially since I got in contact with a friend from college who still does some SFX.) I'm always tempted to put up decorations and watch scary movies. Some of the do-it-yourself websites I frequent go nuts with stuff you can make or do during October. I always think about putting a haunted house together or make an mini attraction in the garage or on the porch. The thought that I could really make a cool attraction runs through my head all month. After all what other holiday could a diy person really go nuts.

I think by mutual agreement, the Mrs. and I have decided that to decorate and have fun with Halloween is not such a bad idea as long as we don't go all out and try for really scary. We can't go nuts with decorations because of money (should go to bills and CM) but we'll put out our few decorations and maybe in a year or two we'll do a little more. I've managed to catch a few "scary" movies on the Disney channels and will be watching some on Nick. I figure as long as I don't go any farther than the equivalent of "Goosebumps" then I can have a little fun.

That being said, here's some links you might like:
Children R Skary
MAKE your Halloween
And what would Halloween be without best hostess to ever hit the screen (or in person)
Elvira

No comments: